Skip to main content

Alma





Today I read a charming children’s book written and illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal called Alma and How She Got Her Name. It is a 2019 Caldecott Honor Book.  It is a sweet story about how Alma doesn’t like her name because it is too long.  Her name, to be exact is Alma Sofia Esperanza JosĂ© Pura Candela.  Six names!  Six very long names she tells her father.  As her father tells her the story behind each of her names she realizes that her name is perfect for her.  She learns that her special name will one day provide her with the opportunity to share her story with the world. This story made me think about how as a child I too did not like my name.  My name was different, there was never anyone else with my name and at times I wished for a more traditional name. 

So tonight I decided to call my parents, both of whom are now in their 80’s and ask about my name.  I had heard stories about why the named me but honestly, I never asked. Today I was lucky enough for them to share why. Here is what they said, “in 1955 (long before I was born!) an American model who would go on to be an actress was crowned Miss America, Lee Ann Meriwether.” “She was wholesome and of good moral character.”

I will be honest, I never would consider myself having much in common with a Miss America.  After reading more about Miss Meriwether tonight I learned that she reluctantly entered and won the Miss California contest which obligated her to go to Miss America.  She won after reciting the tragic poem Riders of the Sea by John Millington Synge.  She admitted that winning was what enabled her to pay for her acting lessons and ultimately win nominations for both Emmy and Golden Globe Awards. You may remember her best at Lily Munster the wife of Herman. Maybe she and I did have a few things in common!

As I have aged I too,  like Alma, have realized that my name was perfect for me.  It is different but so am I.  As an adult I have met a few other Lee Annes’ and it has been fun. Most of all I am thrilled my name is not more traditional.  It wouldn’t suit me!  Like little Alma, I too learned something tonight, my name is a story I too can share with the world and that makes me proud.  Thanks, Mom and Dad!


Comments

  1. You do have something in common with "Lily"---you are beautiful!!! That was so interesting to learn about the history behind your name! I too have never wanted to change my name or shorten it. Proud to be Theresa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you, Theresa. You always make me feel important.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Saturday

Ten years ago, over coffee, my dearest friend Sande and I began discussing how our monthly Bunko game with girlfriends had seemed to have run its course.  Don’t get me wrong, I loved getting together and getting away from my family routine on a Friday.  However, I felt that my life had taken a turn and I was looking for ways to go out with my husband and all our friends. Over coffee, we crafted an idea of what would become the Second Saturday Social Club.  The original idea included 9 couples, one couple has since moved away.  The idea was that once a month you and your husband planned an outing and shared the idea with the social club.  At best you would have 8 other couples join you and at worst you and your husband would have a date.  It seemed like a win/win scenario. We were careful to explain that the social event could be easy as going to a restaurant or as complicated as hosting a dinner party or cocktail hour. Over the years the Second S...

Slice of Life #1 - Orthography Conference

The Slice of Life blog challenge starts today, March 1, 2019, and the fact that I am spending the day at an Orthography Conference with Dr. Pete Bowers, Gina Cooke, and Doug Harper, is not lost on me.  The most passionate slice of my life is word investigation, whether in English or in Spanish.  Today Michel Mira-Rameau was our guest host from Cluis, France via Zoom.  Michel reminded us why we are here today and that “language isn’t primarily for communication but instead exists to make sense of what we are thinking”.  We must remember that the written word is not a spoken language written down.  I am passionate about spending time with words because as I am reminded today, “with words, as with people, you don’t know them until you know where they have been.”  Where will my next word take me?  I can’t wait to see!

Cross the Finish!

I made it.   I crossed the finish line.   I had hoped I would but always left myself the “out” if I needed. Early in the Slice of Life daily blog challenge one of my sons asked what I planned to do after the challenge was over.   Would I continue to blog? Ever since he asked that question, I have been asking myself the same.   While I was writing my blog I frequently asked myself about my “why” and my “what”.   What was the one thing from my day that was noteworthy?   Why did I feel so strongly about one emotion over another?   Why did I accept the challenge?   What was I hoping to accomplish?   Like all other races or events that I have trained for, the circling in my mind at times became overwhelming.   In my unclear moments, my why became the understanding that life is a journey worth noting and sharing. I accepted the challenge to blog daily for the same reasons I have accepted other challenges in my life.   I wanted...