Skip to main content

Cross the Finish!





I made it.  I crossed the finish line.  I had hoped I would but always left myself the “out” if I needed. Early in the Slice of Life daily blog challenge one of my sons asked what I planned to do after the challenge was over.  Would I continue to blog? Ever since he asked that question, I have been asking myself the same.  While I was writing my blog I frequently asked myself about my “why” and my “what”.  What was the one thing from my day that was noteworthy?  Why did I feel so strongly about one emotion over another?  Why did I accept the challenge?  What was I hoping to accomplish?  Like all other races or events that I have trained for, the circling in my mind at times became overwhelming.  In my unclear moments, my why became the understanding that life is a journey worth noting and sharing.

I accepted the challenge to blog daily for the same reasons I have accepted other challenges in my life.  I wanted to see if I could.  I wanted to see what I would learn and how I could grow from the experience. I wanted to overcome my fears.  Like all other challenges I could never have imagined what I would gain from the experience. I have gained confidence in my ability to write and express my thoughts.  I conquered my fear of hitting the “publish” button.  I addressed my own preconceived notions of perfection and learned how perfection is the enemy of done.  I learned that clarity comes from starting and walking away for a while.  In hindsight, my favorite posts were the posts that were written effortlessly and in the shortest amount of time. 

Where the blog will go from here I am not sure.  I am sure however that I have been contemplating a writing project for a few years and have found one excuse after another.  I know now that setting a daily or weekly goal for my writing and making the evidence public will encourage me to follow through.  Regardless of where the blog goes from here, I have an overwhelming new insight.  Meb Keflexigi  summed it up well when referring to his new book 26 Marathons, “The greatest achievement in life  is to be satisfied with yourself.” The blog has given me a satisfaction that the history of my life is a story to share, if not for anyone at least for my family and myself and for that I am very satisfied.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Again... this time in English

Last night after I submitted my first ever Spanish blog post, Bill sent me a very kind text message praising my efforts and my willingness to “put myself out there.”   I was touched by his kindness and responded graciously.   A few minutes later Bill did what Bill does, he texted me again and made me roll with laughter.   This is what he said “Ok, I give.   Tried to read it but need the translation, unless that is tomorrow’s blog post.” Genius, Bill.   Very genius.   Here you go: Today I want to write about Gloria Anzaldúa. A poet, a feminist and a scholar. Today I read a quote from her that I had never noticed before written on a wall at my work. Tonight, I found a poem that touches my soul. Gloria wrote that language is a frontier for all. A border that we all must cross in order to define who we are. The books saved my sanity,   knowledge opened for me places I had closed and taught me first to survive and then how to fly.

Slice of Life #1 - Orthography Conference

The Slice of Life blog challenge starts today, March 1, 2019, and the fact that I am spending the day at an Orthography Conference with Dr. Pete Bowers, Gina Cooke, and Doug Harper, is not lost on me.  The most passionate slice of my life is word investigation, whether in English or in Spanish.  Today Michel Mira-Rameau was our guest host from Cluis, France via Zoom.  Michel reminded us why we are here today and that “language isn’t primarily for communication but instead exists to make sense of what we are thinking”.  We must remember that the written word is not a spoken language written down.  I am passionate about spending time with words because as I am reminded today, “with words, as with people, you don’t know them until you know where they have been.”  Where will my next word take me?  I can’t wait to see!