When you think of lunch, what do you think of? Soup and salad, BLT, hamburger, and fries? For me, when I think of lunch I think of a variety of foods and a break from my daily routine. However, on Sunday evenings, when I think of lunch, I am reminded that it is the start of another work week. Tomorrow is a holiday for many Chicagoans. We celebrate Casimir Pulaski Day and therefore have a break from our normal routines. Tonight, I won’t have to prepare a lunch to take to work tomorrow and for some reason, that break in my normal routine brings me a simple joy that overflows from my Sunday into Monday. Perhaps it is the mundane things in life that hold us captive. Captive to our routines or cemented in our reality, I am not sure I know the difference. Isn’t it funny how when you vacate the normal things you do in life, even the simple ones like making lunch, it suddenly feels like a vacation?
Ten years ago, over coffee, my dearest friend Sande and I began discussing how our monthly Bunko game with girlfriends had seemed to have run its course. Don’t get me wrong, I loved getting together and getting away from my family routine on a Friday. However, I felt that my life had taken a turn and I was looking for ways to go out with my husband and all our friends. Over coffee, we crafted an idea of what would become the Second Saturday Social Club. The original idea included 9 couples, one couple has since moved away. The idea was that once a month you and your husband planned an outing and shared the idea with the social club. At best you would have 8 other couples join you and at worst you and your husband would have a date. It seemed like a win/win scenario. We were careful to explain that the social event could be easy as going to a restaurant or as complicated as hosting a dinner party or cocktail hour. Over the years the Second S...

Right there with you LeeAnne!!! Loved not having to worry about it and the break in routine is so refreshing!
ReplyDelete